family law rules


What happens if the Family Court makes a decision you believe is simply wrong? Can you appeal the decision?

There are strict rules applying to Family Law appeals. First, you cannot appeal a decision simply because it didn’t go your way. You must be able to show that the Family Court Judge or Magistrate made a significant error of law and fact. Even then, the Court has a discretion on whether to allow or dismiss an appeal. Second, a notice of appeal must be filed within 28 days of the Court order being made.

There is a process by which Family Court appeals can be made, and in negotiating your way through this process, you need the help of a Family Lawyer to guide you. Leach Legal offers a free, 15 minute telephone consultation to help you clarify some of the key issues – call (08) 9486 9733 today.

There are many factors you may want to take into account when considering an appeal – not only the legal ones. For example, lodging an appeal begins a potentially lengthy process during which you may not feel able to move on with your life. What happens if the case is sent for retrial and you have to begin all over again? On the other hand, there may be some very compelling factors that support the lodgement of an appeal

Typical questions you may have:

  • Do I believe the Family Court Judge or Magistrate made a significant error of law and fact? If so, which law and which fact or facts?
  • Am I feeling robust enough to undertake a legal process that could be both emotionally demanding and quite lengthy?
  • Am I confident in the legal advice I have been given?
  • If I decide to lodge an appeal, what is the process from here?

Our team of experienced, professional, Perth Family Lawyers are here to help with your appeal. Phone us for a free, phone consultation on (08) 9486 9733.


“I am very happy – fantastic – I couldn’t be happier with Leach legal. They are all very professional. I really appreciate the call.”


Thank you so very much for all your time and efforts with your help towards with our matter…. We appreciate the professional, honest and kind way you approach it.”

Mr T, Parkwood

We promise to call you back within 2 hours